Are you visiting Japan soon? Do you want to stay connected while touring the various attractions the beautiful country has to offer but need help choosing the best option among the many different data and WiFi products available?
For most tourists in Japan, having a strong and reliable internet connection is a necessity to fully enjoy their trip. Not only does it let them post their travel photos and videos on social media whenever and wherever, but it also offers convenience and comfort, especially when they need help with navigation, translation, and other travel-related concerns.
Fortunately, eSIMs for Japan exist and can address these needs.
What is an eSIM?
An eSIM, short for embedded Subscriber Identity Module, is a digital SIM card that is embedded directly into a device. As it is in digital form, it eliminates the need for a physical SIM card. It is integrated into the device’s hardware or firmware and can be remotely programmed, allowing users to connect to cellular networks without the need for a physical SIM card. It can be used not only in smartphones but also in tablets, smartwatches, and other devices that support this technology.
How is an eSIM used?
eSIMs offer pretty much the same uses as physical SIM cards. If you have tried using a traditional physical SIM on your previous Japan trips, expect to be able to use an eSIM for Japan similarly. With your eSIM for Japan, you can do many different things, such as:
- Do internet searches – Your eSIM enables you to look up essential Japan trip information, such as the opening hours and ticket prices of tourist attractions and directions to popular destinations, at any time of the day, anywhere in the country.
- Use various travel apps, such as maps and translation apps – Whether you need bus or train timetables, driving directions, or Japanese to English translations, having an eSIM lets you use different travel apps when you need them, wherever you are in Japan.
- Post on social media – There is no need for you to find free WiFi hotspots to be able to post your travel photos and videos on your social media. With an eSIM, you can upload them right after you take and record them.
- Check emails – While waiting in line for your bus or to buy museum tickets, your phone with an eSIM lets you open your inbox and see if there are important emails that require your immediate response.
- Read the latest news – To keep updated with the current events in your home country, in the world of sports or entertainment, and others, an eSIM can give you access to your favorite news websites and more.
- Stream videos – After a long day of sightseeing, you can go back to your hotel room and relax while watching your favorite series and movies on your device with an eSIM.
- Listen to music – Long train and bus rides can be boring, so having an eSIM allows you to listen to your playlist and discover other tunes.
What are the benefits of having an eSIM over a physical SIM?
There are many good reasons why you should switch to an eSIM on your next visit to Japan. Examples of fantastic benefits that you can enjoy from Japan eSIMs that you cannot get from physical SIM cards are:
No need to receive anything in the post – If you purchase a physical SIM card online, your order is shipped to your address and comes in a package with instructions and other information on how to use it. However, if you get an eSIM, you receive the product in digital form and an email with the steps to activate it.
Easy and convenient to use – eSIMs eliminate the need for physical SIM cards, making it more convenient to activate, switch, or manage network providers or plans. Users can easily download and activate eSIM profiles over the air, without the hassle of physically inserting or swapping SIM cards.
Get connected within minutes – The time it takes to activate an eSIM can vary depending on several factors, including the mobile network operator and the device you are using. In general, the activation process for an eSIM is typically faster than obtaining and activating a physical SIM card. Our eSIMs here at SIM Card Geek’s, for example, are super easy to activate and set up. You just have to wait for an activation link and instructions sent to your email right after you make your purchase. The entire process is quick and should connect you to the internet in Japan within minutes.
Use alongside a physical SIM – Many devices with eSIM support also have a physical SIM card slot, enabling dual SIM functionality. This allows users to have two active phone numbers or plans on a single device, providing flexibility for personal and business use or when traveling.
Here at SIM Card Geek, we have a wide range of Japan eSIMs to offer tourists visiting Japan. Currently, our eSIM product range includes the following:
Depending on what type of data user you are, how long your trip is, and how much your budget is, you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
How do you set up your eSIM?
Using a Japan eSIM is pretty straightforward. In general, it involves the following steps:
Checking device compatibility – Ensure that your device supports eSIM functionality. Not all devices have eSIM capability, so consult your device manufacturer’s specifications or contact your mobile carrier to confirm compatibility.
Obtaining an eSIM activation link – After purchasing your eSIM, an eSIM activation link should be sent immediately to the email that you provided. Click it to begin the setup and activation process.
Following the instructions – Read the steps to set up and activate your eSIM. You might have to adjust your cellular settings, confirm your plan details, and so on.
Activating the eSIM – Once you are done with the setup process, your eSIM will be activated within minutes. You can get connected in Japan right away!
What are some recommended eSIMs for Japan?
Japan eSIM | 1GB Data | 8 Days | JPY ¥1,920¥1,920
Japan eSIM | 3GB Data | 8 Days | JPY ¥2,340¥2,340
Japan eSIM | 1GB Data | 16 Days | JPY ¥2,260¥2,260
Japan eSIM | 30GB Data | 8 Days | JPY ¥3,200¥3,200
Japan eSIM | 3GB Data | 16 Days | JPY ¥2,800¥2,800
Japan eSIM | 50GB Data | 16 Days | JPY ¥3,900¥3,900
Japan eSIM | 50GB Data | 31 Days | JPY ¥4,900¥4,900
And, here’s what our customers think of our Japan eSIMs…
Thanks for reading our post on recommended eSIMs for Japan! Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.